A federal judge has recommended that the operators of two Russian stream-ripping websites pay more than $80 million in damages for circumventing YouTube’s anti-piracy measures and infringing copyrights of audio recordings.

In a case brought by more than a dozen record labels, including UMG Recordings, Warner Records and Sony Music Entertainment, U.S. Magistrate Judge Theresa Buchanan said the sites operated by Tofig Kurbanov, a Russian national, should be shut down permanently via injunctions and that statutory damages of $50,000 be awarded for each of the 1,618 copyrighted works the sites infringed.

Kurbanov operates www.FLVTO.biz and www.2conv.com, which the Fourth Circuit has previously recognized as “two of the most popular stream-ripping websites in the world and…among the most popular of any kind on the Internet,” Buchanan wrote in her 26-page report and recommendation.

Judge Buchanan awarded a total of $82,922,500 in combined violations. The award includes $80.9 million for infringements of the Copyright Act and $2,022,500 in DMCA violations, or $1,250 per act of circumvention, according to the court’s ruling filed on Dec. 16. The award also includes labels’ attorneys’ fees and costs.

The judge said that the 1,618 claimed violations “are likely on the low end of Defendant’s indeterminable number of violations.” Kurbanov argued the statutory damages should be the lowest amount — $200 per violation — or none at all.

The piracy operation, which drew more than 300 million global users who used the sites from October 2017 to September 2018, encouraged copyright infringement and then profited by selling advertising on its websites. The Russian sites allow users to convert URLs into free downloadable and distributable MP3s through stream ripping. The websites incorporate youtube-dl software — third-party software engineered to bypass YouTube’s media protection mechanisms, including “rolling cipher.”

Several national governments including the United Kingdom, Australia, Denmark, Italy, Spain and Russia have previously ordered internet providers to block access to the websites. The Kurbanov complaint, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va., in 2018 under the Copyright Act of 1976, had previously established U.S. courts’ jurisdiction over foreign piracy websites that infringe on works inside the U.S.

“This litigation sets out vital first principles that should chart a path for further enforcement against foreign stream-rippers and other forms of online piracy that undermine the legitimate market for music,” said RIAA chief legal officer Ken Doroshow. “This ruling is a major step forward to protect artists, songwriters, record labels, and consumers from one of the most pernicious forms of online piracy.”

U.S. District Judge Claude Hilton will now review Judge Buchanan’s recommendation for a final determination and order.

It looks like Harry Styles won’t be headed to Florida for the Capital One Beach Bash after all. On Monday (Dec. 20), Capital One announced that the free concert, which was meant to kick off the pre-game fun at the Orange Bowl in South Beach, has been canceled due to the current spike in COVID-19 cases.

“Due to increasing logistical and production challenges related to the pandemic and after consultation with the artists and their production teams, we have jointly made the difficult decision to cancel the Capital One Beach Bash originally scheduled for December 30, 2021 on South Beach at Lummus Park,” reads a statement from Capital One. “While we are disappointed to not host the concert, we are excited for a great Playoff Semifinal game at the Capital One Orange Bowl.”

The pop star was set to headline the concert alongside a performance by Khalid, and ticketholders would have been required to provide proof of vaccination or negative COVID test results from within 72 hours.

The Capital One Beach Bash is just the latest event canceled or put on hold due to the ongoing COVID surge thanks to the new Omicron variant. On Sunday, organizers axed the Miami stop of the 2021 iHeartRadio Jingle Ball tour altogether, while the U.K. has reintroduced a face-mask requirement in nightclubs and concert venues out of concern for the public’s health and safety.

Meanwhile, Styles recently put a bow on his just-wrapped Love on Tour in support of his 2020 sophomore solo album Fine Line, which closed out Nov. 28 with a show in Long Island, New York.

Lil Durk is officially engaged to his longtime girlfriend India Royale.

On Saturday, during his performance for radio station WGCI’s Big Jam Concert at the United Center in the pair’s Chicago hometown, the hitmaker (nee Durk Derrick Banks) caught the audience by surprise when he unexpectedly proposed to Royale onstage.

Durk was on bended knee when he asked Royale, “Do you wanna be my wife?” The enthusiastic crowd burst into applause in celebration of the special moment before Royale said yes. The rap star shared a video of his proposal on Instagram.

The two reportedly started dating in 2017. They became parents to daughter Willow Banks soon after in November 2018.

The heartwarming marriage proposal culminates an incredible year for Lil Durk, who appeared on the Billboard Hot 100 chart eight times in 2021. His collaborative hit album The Voice of the Heroes with Lil Baby also earned a spot on Billboard‘s annual 20 Best Hip-Hop Albums list. Also exciting for Lil Durk: His jam “Hellcats & Trackhawks” scored his first-ever solo appearance on the Hot 100.

His sixth studio album, The Voice, peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 in January.

Lil Durk appears on Ye’s album Donda, which could win the Grammy award for album of the year at next month’s broadcast.

See the proposal below:

Mariah Carey is back at No. 1 again, with her holiday classic “All I Want for Christmas Is You” spending a sixth week atop the Billboard Hot 100. And just because No. 1 is a familiar spot for the Queen of Christmas doesn’t mean she isn’t celebrating the song’s latest return to the top.

“Yaaaas! I can’t even know what to say,” Carey says in a celebratory voice note she tweeted out Monday (Dec. 20). “The kids [10-year-old twins Monroe and Moroccan] just woke me up with confetti … and [boyfriend Bryan] Tanaka brought in two mimosas – one for him, one for me. We’re celebrating. This type of news, it’s never like, ‘Oh my gosh, I’m so bored of this news.’ To have another Billboard Hot 100 [No. 1] with a song that means so much to me, I can’t even, I can’t — I literally don’t know what to say.”

Carey sets the scene of her house in the voice note, saying she has her Apple TV+ special from last year (Mariah Carey’s Magical Christmas Special) on one screen and her 2021 special (Mariah’s Christmas: The Magic Continues) on another. “It’s just, like, very, very, very festive in here, confetti all over the floor,” she says. “Cheers, you guys. I love you so much. I cannot thank you enough. And this is for the nostalgia.”

All I Want for Christmas Is You” was first released on Carey’s album Merry Christmas in 1994, but it didn’t hit No. 1 until December 2019 — sticking around for three weeks — and then returned in December 2020 for two more frames. In addition to the Hot 100, “All I Want” is the biggest song in the world, as it tops both the Billboard Global 200 and the Billboard Global Excl. U.S. charts dated Dec. 25.

Carey also shared three crying emojis in reaction to the No. 1 news as well as a card from her 10-year-old daughter Monroe. See all the festive celebration below:

Depending on your timeline, technology companies have called Miami-Dade County home for decades. But in 2021, Miami tech became a nationwide movement that went into overdrive. As the pandemic bore … Click to Continue »

FKA Twigs and The Weeknd‘s new track has topped this week’s fan-voted new music poll.

Music fans voted in a poll that was published Friday (Dec. 17) on Billboard, choosing “Tears in the Club” as their favorite new music release of the past week.

“Tears in the Club,” the first team-up between the two artists, brought in just over half of the vote at 52.43%. FKA Twigs and The Weeknd dropped the song on Thursday, with the atmospheric chorus “Tears in the club/ ‘Cuz your love’s got me f—ed up.”

While it’s unclear whether “Tears in the Club” will appear on an upcoming album from either FKA Twigs or The Weeknd, this year they’ve both hinted that new albums are in the works.

The Weeknd’s “Poison” collab with Aaliyah, released ahead of the late R&B singer’s posthumous album, and Roddy Ricch‘s Live Life Fast album were among the new music releases trailing behind “Tears in the Club” on the poll.

See the final results of this week’s favorite new music release poll below.

Charli XCX‘s SNL performance was called off Saturday night (Dec. 18) due to a limited crew amid the surge of COVID-19 cases linked to the omicron variant in New York City, but she did make a cameo in a pre-recorded musical sketch for the show.

“The Christmas Socks,” possibly a parody of the 2000 song “The Christmas Shoes,” was led by SNL host Paul Rudd and featured Charli as a very special guest: a singing bird named T.J. Rocks.

“Christmas is a time of charity and giving, and that was the inspiration for this next music video, which I shot yesterday morning with Kyle Mooney, Aidy Bryant, Kenan Thompson, Alex Moffat and what should have been tonight’s musical guest, Charli XCX,” Rudd said in his introduction of the musical segment. “It’s a heartfelt Christmas song about a magical moment between a boy and a strange man at a department store. Enjoy!”

Charli shared the unfortunate news that she would not be performing on Saturday night’s episode shortly after SNL announced the show would tape without a live audience that night.

“due to the limited crew at tonight’s taping of snl my musical performances will no longer be able to go ahead. i am devastated and heartbroken,” she said on social media, promising she’ll “be back.”

In a later tweet, Charli added, “heya just to clear up any confusion i didn’t decide to cancel or pull out of the show tonight! We were informed at around 3pm ish that my segment of the show wouldn’t be able to go ahead for everyone’s safety and so there was nothing we could do.”

Watch the pre-taped sketch that she was able to take part in below.

Jingle Ball’s stop in Florida, which was scheduled for Sunday (Dec. 19) in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale market, has been canceled. The event at the FLA Live Arena in Sunrise, Florida, was called off due to COVID-19 concerns, amid the surge of the omicron variant.

In a statement posted on Twitter on Sunday, iHeartRadio wrote, “Due to the increased transmission of the new Covid-19 variant and to further minimize any potential risks, as a precautionary measure and for the safety of our staff, talent and guests, we have made the decision to cancel tonight’s iHeartRadio Y100 Jingle Ball. Thank you for your understanding. Ticket holders will receive a refund within 48 hours and if they have any issues, they should reach out to their point of purchase.”

The message was followed with a tweet regarding Ticketmaster refunds: “Ticket holders who purchased through Ticketmaster will receive a refund within 3 to 30 days. If you have any issues, you should reach out to your point of purchase.”

The original lineup for the concert in Miami featured Doja Cat, Megan Thee Stallion, AJR, Black Eyed Peas, Saweetie and more, though Doja Cat, Megan Thee Stallion and others recently had to drop out of Jingle Ball dates. Doja Cat tested positive for COVID-19, and members of Megan Thee Stallion’s team were exposed to COVID-19.

The Florida Jingle Ball show was meant to be the final stop on the 2021 tour.

See the announcement below.

The organizers of a Los Angeles festival that was the scene of a high-profile homicide Saturday night (Dec. 18), when rapper Drakeo the Ruler was fatally stabbed, had recently made a major management change, ending its relationship with the organizers of Coachella in July to ink a new joint venture with global concert promoter Live Nation. Last month, Live Nation came under heavy fire for its alleged role in the deadly Astroworld festival headlined by Travis Scott that killed 10 people and left scores more injured.

Authorities say that Drakeo was murdered in a stabbing attack Saturday during the Once Upon a Time in LA festival at Exposition Park and Banc of California Stadium in downtown Los Angeles. Headlined by Snoop Dogg, the festival was a joint venture between Live Nation and veteran independent promoter Robert “Bobby Dee” Drieslein, who is Snoop’s business partner. Austin, Texas, festival promoter C3 Presents, which promotes Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits, was also involved in producing the festival, a Live Nation rep confirmed.

Once Upon a Time in LA was created by Drieslein and well-known talent buyer Jeff Shuman in 2017 under the name Summertime in the LBC and had been promoted by Goldenvoice, the AEG-owned concert company behind Coachella. Goldenvoice also co-promoted the R&B-focused Lovers and Friends festival owned by Dreislein and Shuman and the Smokin Grooves festival, which the men co-owned with booking agent Cara Lewis.

From 2017 to 2019, the three festivals were staged at an outdoor site in Long Beach near the Queen Mary, a 1930s-era luxury ocean liner that had been permanently moored and converted into a hotel. In 2019, Summertime in the LBC was renamed Once Upon a Time in LA following a settlement with the Long Beach band The Dove Shack, who wrote the 1995 song “Summertime in the LBC” and claimed the Summertime in the LBC festival infringed on the group’s intellectual property. Goldenvoice also promoted a Latin music and Chicano rock festival on the site called Tropicalia festival in 2017 and 2018 before moving the festival to the Pomona Fairplex in 2019. Records show that Shuman owned a trademark for Tropicalia Festival and that Bobby Dee Presents Inc. owned a trademark for both Once Upon a Time in LA and Once Upon a Time in the LBC.

The festivals were rapidly growing and selling out in record time (Once Upon a Time in the LBC 2019 sold out in an hour) when the pandemic hit in March 2020, followed by the bankruptcy of Urban Commons in April 2021 amid fraud accusations. The real estate company had reportedly used the Queen Mary as collateral for a number of large loans and was threatened with jail time by a federal bankruptcy judge accusing Urban Commons executives of diverting $2.4 million in PPP loans meant for Queen Mary to personal bank accounts, court records show.

The bankruptcy ended Goldenvoice’s agreement with Urban Commons, and the concert company moved the events it owned to different venues, including a park space in Long Beach. Then in July 2021, Shuman parted ways with Goldenvoice and joined global concert promoter Live Nation, which inked a new JV with Shuman and Drieslein under more favorable terms, Dreislein confirmed to Billboard in a September interview.

Th 43-year-old Dreislein manages Snoop’s Dogg’s live business and its Uncle Snoop’s Army platform, which is part booking agency and part fan club. He also co-manages Ice Cube’s concert business and manages the careers of Cypress Hill frontman B-Real, Warren G, Xzibit, Lisa Lisa, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Trae tha Truth and Berner. Dreislein is the son of a successful night club owner and promoter and grew up in in South Los Angeles.

The killing of Drakeo the Ruler is the second deadly incident to happen at a Live Nation festival this year, although the circumstances between Astroworld and Once Upon a Time in LA are quite different. A crowd crush of fans trying to rush the stage is the cause of the high casualty count at the Houston festival, while the death of Drakeo was the result of a fight backstage at the festival, sources tell Billboard. No arrests have been made in the case.

Billboard contacted reps for Dreislen and Shuman, and neither man elected not to comment at this time.

Adele’s 30 holds firm at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart for a fourth consecutive, and total, week. It’s the first album with four weeks in a row at No. 1 since March. 30 earned 183,000 equivalent album units in the U.S. in the week ending Dec. 16 (down 6%) according to MRC Data.

The last album with four straight weeks at No. 1 was Morgan Wallen’s Dangerous: The Double Album, which spent all 10 of its weeks at No. 1 from its debut frame, between the charts dated Jan. 23 and March 27. The last album by a woman with four weeks in a row at No. 1 was Taylor Swift’s Folklore, which spent its first six weeks atop the list (of its total of eight nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1) beginning in August 2020.

30 is the fourth album released in 2021 to spend at least four weeks at No. 1 in total. Previously, Drake’s Certified Lover Boy (five weeks), Olivia Rodrigo’s Sour (five) and Wallen’s Dangerous (10) all clocked at least four weeks in the lead.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S. based on multi-metric consumption as measured in equivalent album units. Units comprise album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). Each unit equals one album sale, or 10 individual tracks sold from an album, or 3,750 ad-supported or 1,250 paid/subscription on-demand official audio and video streams generated by songs from an album. The new Dec. 25, 2021-dated chart (where 30 spends a fourth week at No. 1) will be posted in full on Billboard‘s website on Dec. 21. For all chart news, follow @billboard and @billboardcharts on both Twitter and Instagram.

Of 30’s 183,000 equivalent album units earned in the U.S. in the week ending Dec. 16, album sales comprise 146,500 (down 2%), SEA units comprise 35,000 (down 19%; equaling 47.3 million on-demand streams of the set’s track) and TEA units comprise less than 1,500 units (down 15%).

30 logs the biggest fourth week for any album in over three years, since Drake’s No. 1 Scorpion earned 184,000 in its fourth frame (chart dated Aug. 4, 2018).

Juice WRLD’s second posthumous album, Fighting Demons, debuts at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 with 119,000 equivalent album units earned. Of that sum, SEA units comprise 110,000 units (equaling 155.49 million on-demand streams of the set’s songs), TEA units comprise 5,000 and album sales comprise 4,000. Fighting Demons is Juice WRLD’s fifth chart entry, and all five have reached the top five. He previously hit No. 1 with both his first posthumous release, Legends Never Die (which debuted at No. 1 on the July 25, 2020-dated chart and spent two weeks at No. 1), and with Death Race for Love (debuted at No. 1 on the March 23, 2019, chart, and spent two weeks at No. 1).

Four former No. 1s are next up on the Billboard 200. Swift’s second re-recorded album, Red (Taylor’s Version), dips 2-3 in its fifth week on the list, and fifth frame in the top 10 (68,000). It has now spent more weeks in the top 10 than Swift’s first re-recorded project, Fearless (Taylor’s Version), which has notched four nonconsecutive weeks in the top 10 (between April and October).

Michael Bublé’s Christmas is steady at No. 4 with 64,000 equivalent album units earned (up 7%), Rodrigo’s Sour is stationary at No. 5 with 60,000 units (though up 18%, thanks to a surge in vinyl LP sales) and Wallen’s Dangerous holds at No. 6 with 45,000 (down 6%).

Mariah Carey’s Merry Christmas rises 8-7 with nearly 45,000 equivalent album units earned (up 11%). Vince Guaraldi Trio’s soundtrack to the animated TV special A Charlie Brown Christmas hits a new peak, climbing 9-8 with 44,500 units (up 15%); it beats its previous chart high, set just a week ago, when it reached No. 9.

Drake’s former No. 1 Certified Lover Boy falls 7-9 with 44,000 units (down 5%) and Polo G’s chart-topping Hall of Fame falls 3-10 with 43,000 (down 45%), following its run back up the chart a week ago following a deluxe reissue.